Gradings are formal events, this helps everyone to focus on the job in hand and treat the process with respect and attention.
- You will not normally be considered ready to grade until you have completed a minimum of 8 training sessions.
- Gradings are run on a non-training day & possibly not at your usual venue (except for Little Dragons)
- There is a grading fee which includes the new belt & certificate
- At your first grading with us you also need to purchase the Budo Pass which is your grading record
- We have kata gradings, which are set sequences of movements, which need to be graded, the rough rule is to grade a kata after every two belt gradings (except for Little Dragons & Ladies Kickboxing). Kata IV MUST be successfully graded before grading for Brown Belt
Please click the Grading Information sheet for dates, indicative timings, fees and other information.
Gradings are run at a venue normally on a NON-TRAINING day. This is so that those not grading do not miss out on their training and to give the grading day a bit of gravitas.
This year, 2020, we are holding gradings at Earl Shilton and Coalville on consecutive Saturdays.
If you train at Earl Shilton or Coalville we will assume you will grade at your normal training venue, but if you prefer to grade elsewhere, please let your sensei know.
If you train at Enderby you can choose to grade at either venue - again, please let your sensei know.
In 2021 we have scheduled gradings at Enderby, Earl Shilton and Coalville - again on a non-training day, currently a Saturday.
Little Dragons 2.5-6yrs - Martial Arts for pre-school
Little Dragons are graded in-lesson, partly because of child protection for the young ones, and partly because at this age group they often need mummy or daddy (or grandma or grandad) on hand to support them. It is less formal for these, and very similar to a lesson except that we are marking their every move! And at the end, they will hopefully win out and get a new belt and certificate.
Dragon Warriors 6-14yrs - Martial Arts for children
For this age group and the adults spectators are NOT allowed. Now we need them to be more self-reliant, and focus on their moves and their "attacker" and the directions of the grading examiner and a touch of nerves is to be embraced.
Adult Ju Jitsu 15yrs+ - Martial arts for adults
Spectators are NOT allowed. We need you to be more self-reliant, and focus on your moves and your "attacker" and the directions of the grading examiner and a touch of nerves is to be embraced.
Ladies Only Kickboxing 13yrs+ - Ladies kickboxing for adults and teens
Spectators are NOT allowed. We need you to be more self-reliant, and focus on your moves and the pads, and the directions of the grading examiner and a touch of nerves is to be embraced.
Focus on good start and good finishes to your techniques, arms up guarding your chin / face at the start and end of every technique, finish outside the range of your opponents arms / legs as "distance is your friend".
Sensei Rob Phelps
Page created 01/03/2019
Page updated 15/09/2021